Pages

Friday, August 18, 2006

The Indian Mystique



Indians are a study in contrasts. On an individual level Indians are very gracious, caring and sentimental. On a collective level they are divisive, undisciplined, non-cooperative and difficult to deal with. This is the mystique of India. People you've just met, welcome you wholeheartedly with genuine openness which engulfs you in a current of acceptance. You are swept away in a tide that makes you feel you belong.

In India you are defined by your associations. India is a highly networked society. One is born into a network. Whose child you are, who you are related to is the network one acquires at birth along with where you stay, what you do for a living becomes an integral part of who you are. The warmth that was showered on your associations and relatives is showered on you and often times one is taken aback by the intensity of the warmth and welcome that one receive. If one is meeting for the first time, new relations are created and existing associations are strengthened. Indians embrace foreigners readily. The associations applied to foreigners are that they are from a far away place. Indians are a curious lot. Many questions are asked. Some very probing. All of this information becomes part of the persons definition.

Foreigners may find this questioning and curiosity somewhat invasive. However, these questions are asked due to genuine curiosity and there is no malice intended. Gossip is always welcomed. One of Indians favorite pastimes is to relay and exchange gossip amongst their friends and relatives. This preoccupation with gossip can work to one’s advantage or disadvantage. If one wishes some sensitive information to be conveyed, one can utilize this phenomena effectively. On the other hand if one wants to be secretive about something one has to hold the information extremely close to one’s chest.

Recently, I went on a hike in a rural part of Karnataka. I followed a dirt road that gently inclined upwards and passed by many farm houses and fields. I took a fork which led to a small clearing in which there was a lean to, which consisted of four poles and a sloped thatched roof. I was examining its construction and taking a few pictures when two young men approached me. They asked me where I was from, and what I was doing there, what it is that I was looking for, how did I get here etc.. These questions were asked in what would seem in an interrogative fashion. They were satisfied once I answered their questions and mentioned to them that I enjoyed to walk/hike. Then I asked them where the path led to. They answered that one path led back to town and the other went on into the forest. They also mentioned that there was a cave nearby. I asked if they could take me there and they readily agreed. We had a great hike to the cave and on returning they invited me to their house, gave me chilled water and some lemon juice. When we met we were all strangers to each other, and then we shared a memorable experience that we will look back on fondly. This is an example of the Indian mystique.

February 7th 2006

1 comment:

k.j. institute of management said...

Good to read this article...thnaks.